If we talk about comfort food, a hot and spicy noodle soup is one of them on my list. In fact, it is on my top 5 list.
Seafood & noodle soup is very versatile with ingredients. For vegetables, you may use one kind or a mix of vegetables like shiitake mushroom, bok choy,napa cabbage or spinach. You can make this soup as hot and spicy or not at all. As for noodles, you can use any kind of Asian noodle like udon, vermicelli, rice noodles or lo mein noodles. To top off the versatility of this dish, you may use chicken or beef sliced thinly in lieu of seafood mix. You should be able to find seafood mix in the frozen section of your favorite grocery store. If you can’t find a seafood mix, you can just use one kind of seafood like shrimp, mussels or clams etc.
I buy most of my dry ingredients from an Asian store at a nearby town. But you will be surprised, most of the stores have an Asian aisle now where you can buy asian ingredients.
I use this chili powder but you certainly can use any kind of hot pepper powder.
For the noodles, this is what I have in my pantry today :), but like I said vermicelli or udon (thick Japanese noodles) is perfect for this soup.
Here is the recipe for this oh so good soup.
Seafood & Noodle Soup Recipe
- 2 cups seafood mix
- 4-5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 sprigs scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger sliced
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder (for mild), 1-1 1/2 tbsp (for hot)
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushroom
- 1 cup fresh spinach or bok choy
- 2 tbsp fish sauce or 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1/4 cup cubed tofu
- 2 tbsps cooking oil
- 8 ounces noodles, cooked and drained
- 2-3 fresh Thai Chilis (optional)
- In a saucepan, saute onion and ginger on medium heat until onions are soft.
- Add garlic and chili powder and saute for a minute.
- Add fish sauce or salt.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add mushroom and half of the cilantro, half of the scallions and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cooked noodles, tofu and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add seafood and fresh chilis and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and cook until tender. If using fresh spinach add before turning the heat off so it’s not overcooked.
- Add more seasonings if needed.
- Turn the heat off.
- Add the remaining cilantro & scallions and serve hot.
- If using beef or chicken, slice these thinly, and cook separately first.Brown beef or chicken in oil. Set aside then add in the soup per #7 instructions above.
Just Cook Happy http://www.justcookhappy.com/